I don't know how other people manage inside their own brains, but mine apparently had orders to travel every segue that can be taken via music. Or a movie line. Or a sitcom quip.
For instance, this morning I mused to myself, not even out loud, about "it's so much easier to not have to deal with Bosley in the morning."
Bos is at the family farm, thanks to the kindness of my father-in-law, who watched him during our family get together and the following Christmas in July party. We haven't reclaimed him yet, hence the "it's so easy..."
Which is precisely where my brain pivoted. I've had a running chorus of "It's So Easy" in my head all morning. Not the Linda Ronstadt one. Not humming about falling in love. The Guns N' Roses version, which according to a quick search is about how the band's popularity was skyrocketing yet they had no money and were living off the excess of others. At any rate, I'm quite sure I was mostly unaware of the lyrics despite the hook of the tune.
I've also been ignorant of actual lyrics to other songs. I have at least one close friend who is in that boat with me, blissfully singing along at the top of our lungs, only to discover that we are singing wildly incorrect words. My favorite example is one we absolutely knew but had apparently completely forgotten: substituting "finally" for Journey's "Faithfully" much to our merriment! In case you can't quite get there, it would be, "I'm foreveeeer yoooooours...finally." Maybe we should have made a remix.
Now you'll never hear it the other way again. You're welcome.
Another song I'd been called out for mangling was when I substituted "how was I" for OMC's "How Bizarre." I know. That didn't make any sense to me either, but perhaps enough people were in the boat with me to make the band a one-hit wonder. Also catchy, never knew the lyrics, whatever. Man, I miss the days and bands who would print the lyrics on the insides of their paper labels of the cassette tape or CD! I devoured those!
In terms of long-distance anything, Dada and I look at each other and crack up, repeating Coach Calhoun's line to Danny Zuko in "Grease" about stamina and "long-distance running.. cross-country running," complete with arm movements.
Or when anything is, frankly, unbelievable, then how can you NOT go with Liam Dunn's line to Madeline Kahn in "What's Up, Doc?"
No comments:
Post a Comment