Sunday, March 13, 2011

We had a visitor on Friday.




Our "less than an inch of slush" prediction turned into a 2 hour delay on Friday morning. I was cleaning up in the kitchen and glanced out the window to see a hawk in our yard. Triskal was right by the sliding glass door and was, I think, completely flabbergasted. I called both kids to the door to watch him/ her eat his/ her breakfast. Carrie investigated later and declared, "there's a beak out there that he forgot." Hehehehe. Not sure if he found one of our sparrows or if the poor unfortunate soul was some critter from one of the surrounding fields, but it was certainly fascinating to watch the hawk enjoying breakfast on our fence. He/ she turned around once, right before taking off, and of course I didn't have the camera in hand right then. =(



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

JC said...

I'm not sure if it's a Cooper's hawk or a sharp-shinned but if you see him/her around again he might be going after the easy prey at your bird feeders! I hope that's not the case. :(

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/coopers_hawk/id

Val said...

The street behind us is named Cooper's Hawk, so it's very possible. My mom chases hawks away from her feeder in PA. With a broom!