Thursday, October 01, 2009

Brrrrr freaking cold!

One of my Facebook friends was admonishing the rest of us about griping about the weather. She figures since we live where we live, we should be used to the bizarre temperature changes by now and get over it. While I agree to a point, I also think that because we're used to it doesn't make us have to like it!

It was 34 degrees when I came downstairs at 7 AM this morning. The house itself said 63. That's the one I lamented first. Then I strolled over to the outside thermometer and promptly did a bug- eyed screech, "Thirty-four!? You have GOT to be kidding me!" Cue stamping around, lots of "sweet Indian" followed by "where's the (insert skull symbol, lightening symbol, etc) coffee", etc. Repeat.

Kids get up and come downstairs. Liam's been sleeping in footie pajamas already. "Those are my WINTER ones, Mama," in his sweet, serious voice. Like, Mama, you just told us two weeks ago that fall started. I remember. "Yes, Liam. Let's get them on." Carrie is doing her thing (translation: procrastinating about getting ready for school) and I manage to corral her and get jeans onto her no-butt body. I pull out a long sleeve shirt, think for a minute, and stuff her into an undershirt first. Kid has no body fat to speak of! So when she left for the bus she had on an undershirt, long sleeve shirt, hoodie, and fluffy down (or something) vest, hat, two hoods, and gloves! October first! Sick.

The flipside is that their appetites increase exponentially when it's cold. She ate a scrambled egg, the end piece of toast, and then three slices (THREE!) of banana bread. I don't know where she put it all. This is the same kid that often tries to sneak out of her chair after one small IKEA bowl of cereal. And half a glass of juice. Of course, this is also the kid who's been begging us and Dr. Jon to let her out of her car seat...

For whatever reason, though I'm blaming the freakishly cold weather, Liam had a Fragile Feelings morning. Multiple times he burst into tears and more than once was kicking while laying down on the floor. I told him if he didn't stop that we would NOT be going to swimming class. Thankfully he settled down, because it would have been one of those "who are you really punishing" kinds of days had we not had that half hour class in there...

That's all from this corner for the moment. Have a great day. It's 48 now. =)

1 comment:

Annmarie said...

Ahh, so that's a 'Fragile Feelings' day! I call it a whiny, cranky toddler day. LOL! Perhaps I will take a page from your book and start calling it a fragile feelings day. Liam actually had a fragile feelings half day today. We had gone to lunch at State Farm to eat with Daddy and Grandpa, and as usual, he charmed all the ladies and ended up with a bunch of new girlfriends, then we came home, and he took a nap. When he got up everything was a tragedy, bursting into tears over every little thing. When he does this, I break into a rendition of Tragedy by the BeeGees - he's too young to get it, but it amuses me. =) Eep, I rambled on there - sorry about that! Comment, not novel...
Anyway, glad to hear other moms have the same problems! =)