Friday, July 16, 2010

Binky and Blorp

I've been thinking a lot about how different these kids of ours are. I know you're not supposed to compare them, but who really pulls that off? Every parent I've ever talked to can rattle off lists of how their kids are alike and different at the same time.

Carrie and Liam both refused pacifiers of any kind. Damon is a binky baby. Naturally, we had none in the house when he decided he was going to be a binky baby. Dada made a near-midnight run to WalMart with uncle Rob to fetch binkies. We now have seven. One from the hospital, two more like it, two that are similar, and two that are way different. Since the other two weren't into binkies, I've been out and about and have totally forgotten about them... until Damon wants one. Oopsie... I have a hunch they're going to turn into something similar to chap sticks: one for the diaper bag, one for a hoodie pocket, one for my purse, etc.

Carrie was the original Unburpable Baby. You could seriously sit for days while patting her and repositioning her and bouncing her and you'd get maybe a quarter of a burp. (She makes up for it now, in spades.) Liam, however, was a champion burper. About his fifth day of life, Grandmama announced, "I've already gotten more burps out of this kid than I ever did out of her!" Damon hasn't settled into a burping or burpless camp yet. Sometimes he follows Carrie. Sometimes he sounds like a fraternity brother.


And most surprising of all, for me anyway, has been how blorpy he is. Neither of the other two spit up very much. I wouldn't say I'm concerned about how much Damon does, I'd just say that he's probably the more "normal" baby in that respect, because of the other two doing it so much less. The only time I ever remember Liam actually throwing up was after I'd had an entire 12 oz can of Pepsi because I was so excited to be able to have caffeine again. Apparently I couldn't. His little tummy couldn't handle it. =/ Let's just say that with Damon, better to have a burp BLANKET over your shoulder. You just never know what he's going to do.

His doctor visit was earlier in the week and the staff marveled at how consistent he was in growth and temperment. Damon means "constant" and he is that. Enjoy the pictures of our sweet Doodlebug!

No comments: