Friday, May 18, 2018

Further proof of God's faithfulness


And the power of your prayers: both my bone scan and my CT scan results came back clear which means the cancer has not spread to bones, lungs, abdomen, anywhere other than where it had already been found. Thank you, God, for your protection and your faithfulness. Thank you all for your prayers and support. The only other thing the bone scan revealed was arthritis, which wasn't any real surprise other than location. My doc said it was in my shoulders as she touched her own collarbones. As I feel it in my hands and neither of the above places (yet), we'll just roll with that later! 

She also reported that all my blood work looked perfect. I have all those numbers but they don't mean anything to me other than they're good, haha. I do remember that platelets are 132,000 and I'm fairly sure she said 12.7 for hemoglobin for those of you who know what such amounts translate into. I'm content knowing it was good news. 

She looked me full in the face and said I'd probably lose my hair this week or next week. I appreciate the concern and the sweetness, but hair has always just been hair to me: no biggie. I am glad that I cut it short first before it falls out. I'd imagine it's still heartbreaking to see short tufts on one's pillowcase but it would be harder to see long locks. I am excited for the shaving to happen, actually, but as Damon's awards ceremony is next Tuesday I'd like to wait until at least that evening as I don't want to scare any of my smaller friends unnecessarily. Waving one last time to the bus with no hair is an entirely different story, one I'm looking forward to with relish! *Insert maniacal laughter here*

Now you know everything that we know. We have a meeting next week with my radiation oncologist to discuss our options and then an EKG to determine my baseline heart stuff before the possibility of the Herceptin messing with it. More firsts! 

And lasts. Next week are the very last days of 9th, 6th, and 2nd grades. The boys have squabbled since they got home this afternoon about anything and everything which bodes fantaaaaasticly for the long summer ahead... 

Liam has begun the orthodontic journey that is getting braces. He survived a few weeks of having rubbery separators between his teeth and today those were removed and his custom made expanders were... installed? Can I say installed? Think metal bridges attached to molars which will widen both his upper and lower jaws. I have a "key" which will be inserted and rotated in his upper expander every day for a month and in his lower expander every other day for two months. He's understandably sore and his Turtle Speed One eating habits have, alas, deteriorated into the realm of Slower Than Molasses. Thankfully we have the weekend to recover before he tries to get breakfast into him on a school day. Braces go on the day after my third chemo treatment. Sounds like a movie marathon kind of weekend to me!

In other news, Dada wrapped up a week of helping train other quality folks from around the globe. He put in mucho hours and had some fun, yummy dinners out this week. I know because I partook in some of the leftovers, hehe!  I may or may not have had some steak for breakfast this morning which sat decidedly better than the Raisin Bran I had yesterday. 

Carrie has been participating in a wood working project for one of her classes. She chose to make a clock and is nearing the final touches. You know, details like, oh yeah, a clock kinda needs hands. She did a nice job painting on Roman numerals and has stained it. She has been procrastinating a bit on the entire process and was flabbergasted to discover that school lets out an entire week before she thought it did. And then there is her brother, who could probably tell you how many hours and minutes and seconds there are left until dismissal on the last day. 

Damon had field day today and said his favorite part was the jumping race where they had to jump over "these triangle things". Sorry, that's all the information I got out of him while he's on the iPad away from his brother. Divide and conquer. 

Have a great weekend! May it be relatively peaceful in the madness that is May. 

2 comments:

Runner Sam I Am said...

So have you guys played any boardgames? Our family plays discovery garden tonight.

Jessica said...

I love how eloquently you describe this ever so crappy situation. Your grace and poise has always amazed me, I love you sweet Val.