Thursday, May 10, 2018

Here we sit like birds in the wilderness...



Not that bird. Poor Cheeky Beaky.

Not that bird either. This little one sternly supervised use while we put the garden in on Saturday.


I think I've mentioned the camp song we'd sing while waiting. You're always waiting in life for something. "Here we sit like birds in the wilderness, birds in the wilderness, birds in the wilderness. Here we sit like birds in the wilderness waiting for the (Wren Boys/ Robin Girls/ Whomever)" 

I'm at chemo, so here I sit.

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade."

Similarly, when life hands you breast cancer and an IV pole and a squashy, reclinable armchair for hours of medication dripping into your bod and making you need to pee, blog. 




We met with my oncologist to go over the MRI and the lymph node biopsy results I've had since we last met. We finally heard the words that everyone wonders about: stage 2 since the cancer invaded a lymph node. Wonderful news is that I am BRCA 1&2 negative, so big thanks and praise to God for that. One less thing to have to deal with. This road will be bumpy enough, thanks!

After some more discussion, and on the third needle attempt, we started with an hour of Perjeta and then flushed for an hour with saline. Now I'm hooked up to my hour and a half (for the first time- it won't always be this much, so it won't always take this long) of Herceptin.




Because my appointment was at 10 and these meds take this long without the actual chemo meds in addition, I'll do the three hours of those, including the pre-chemo meds (think steroid, white blood cell booster, Benadryl), tomorrow.  They're even going to leave my IV in so that they don't have to re-stick me tomorrow. I've been instructed to keep it dry if I shower but was also informed that I am allowed to come in stinky. Hehe! These ladies are the best!

I've never been the best at waiting (see just about every previous post) and this is no exception. Other tests were discussed that I am to have and I want to know the when, the where, the what's-it-going-to-entail, the am-I-getting-poked-again, the how-long-will-that-take, and the when-will-we-know-results? I keep telling God I don't want another lesson in patience, that I didn't pray for patience, that whoever is praying for me for patience is going to get beaten with my Dammit Doll. Google that. It will make you laugh. And whoever sent mine to me, thank you, there was no note with it so I can't hug you! That makes me sad because I appreciate your sense of humor. Thanks for making the time.

For those readers who are not on Facebook, I'll ask here: please pray against diarrhea as it is one of the major side effects of Perjeta. As our family has colon cancer red flags also, I was against using this in case the constant irritation could trigger or mask colon cancer symptoms, and really, who wants diarrhea ever? Ain't got no time for that! You are allowed to laugh as you pray it, but please do pray it. I've got a summer to live and I intend to live it.

I asked about the sun exposure as my chemo meds specifically listed "avoid sun exposure, wear 15+ sunscreen, blah blah blah" and Dada said about me, "she won't listen!" My joy was great when my doctor looked at me and then looked at him and my nurse bestie Linda laughed that Dada would be probably at more risk than I would be! YAY! She also said, "wear a hat." Got it. I usually soak a bandanna in the pool and tie it over my hair anyway or slap on my big floppy hat, so I can only imagine how much nicer that will feel when I have no hair to hog all the cool water! Big yay God for not making me stay out of the sun after a midwestern winter and before another one. BIG YAY. 

Bigger than this YAY! That's as large as this blog font will go. Pathetic.

Hoo boy, I am really bad at waiting. Another 70 minutes to go. I can see why napping here would be a good way to kill some time. Thanks to my beautiful karate mom Girlfriends, I have the most amazing blanket to snuggle and stay warm with. Unbelievably sweet and thoughtful. I am so blessed. I will have to get pictures. I brought it today but am warmish so  am not using it right now. A picture of it shoved in a bag will not do it justice, so I will wait. Remind me.

My sweet friend Kathy brought me lovely flowers which tipped over in her car en route. My thoughtful friend Julie mailed me a cozy T-shirt, some lotion and lip balm, and a fun little purse. The nurses here at the cancer care spot gave me a new snazzy bag from Thirty-One stocked with a throw, some hand sanitizer, tissues, lip balm, a notepad, some other cute cheerful gifts, and a card from the patient who inspired the care items. My point is not to brag about my Stuff, but to show that I am being well taken care of and am loved! I'm getting cards, prayers, and texts like crazy and am seriously blessed. So thank you for being part of the tribe who is lifting me up. Thank you for the Facebook encouragement, for the messages, for the stories, for all the love you send! It is overwhelming and sweet and amazing and humbling. Thank you! Please keep praying!


No comments: