Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Fun outdoor surprises




I am getting such a kick out of the surprises I’m finding outdoors. I’d had an eye out for the baby praying mantises but hadn’t seen any; now I’m wondering if it’s because in my head they were still colorless and now they are apparently green! Always amazing how much I forget from year to year, haha!

Today I was picking berries and started from the opposite side of the patch and I bet that’s why I saw an exciting surprise:



I’m so excited! I hope I didn’t scare the mama away from the nest. What a fun place to raise babies!

*Initially I thought these were hummingbird eggs because they seemed sooooo tiny. Apparently the only ones who nest around here are Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds. 

However, as I've startled the mama more than once and gotten a good look and listen, I'm leaning towards wrens; she doesn't hover, she flits to the closest fence rail and lands.*

No comments: