Monday, October 03, 2022

Eggs, eggs, eggs, eggs, or a perspective lesson

 I've talked about this before; a creative writing teacher of mine once said that writers need to write every day. If you can't think of anything to write, just describe what you had for breakfast. She said sooner or later something would break through the eggs. Now that I think about it, by "break through" did she mean something would hatch out of the eggs? Hmm. That's kind of a nice image. All this time, over 20 years' worth, I was thinking scrambled eggs- the only kind I like- not still intact ones. Ha! Guess I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer or the brightest crayon in the box. I usually get there eventually. Teehee.

At any rate, initially I thought that I didn't have much to say today. Upon further reflection, I realize that I have many much thanks to give. My brother, sister-in-law, and cousin on Dada's side have all come through Hurricane Ian with the vast majority of their possessions and their health, which is miraculous in and of itself. People, Florida, Cuba, and Puerto Rico are going to need more than your thoughts and prayers. Do some homework. Google "how to help Hurricane Ian victims" to get yourself started, find someone with boots on the ground, and donate some of your excess to help those who've lost everything. Or half their things. Or their roof. Doesn't matter. Bust out those checkbooks or the "text to give" or use your extra vacation days to travel there, roll up your sleeves, and pass out water or pick up sticks. Do something! 

I'm thankful for hot, running water and lights that come on when I flip a switch. Magic! Some people are doing without those simplest things. I'm thankful for the load of firewood we had delivered so that on these pretty but damp fall days we can dry out the house a little more and be cheered by the fire as well. I'm thankful for the contents inside the side-by-side fridge I despise and complain about because it's so narrow it's like playing Tetris every time I get groceries, but when I flip the picture, I can see how blessed I am that I have choices of what to eat and that I didn't have to hunt it or process it myself!

I'm thankful for the education my kiddos are getting, that one of them has a field trip this week, and that it is supposed to be 70 degrees for said field trip! I am not really looking forward to the wet, muddy laundry after the river field trip, but I am very thankful that I don't have to haul it all to a river myself to wash it or spread it on a hot rock to dry. And that I don't have to haul water daily for cooking or washing. Wow. Though I would have great muscles, I suppose! And I can see how the time with my fellow female water haulers would be precious time together...

I'm thankful that my hubby is working from home and that we can take walks together most days which helps us stay on the same page as well as giving me a chance to make sure he notices all the beautiful wildflowers or clouds or insects or whatever happens to catch my eye, too. Squirrel!

Speaking of squirrels (which equates randomness in my head for those of you who missed that connection- it's not your fault. My brain doesn't work in steps like a geometry proof- it's all spiderwebs because everything connects to everything else for me.) Where was I? 

Boy, that train of thought didn't just leave the station... it is gone. *sighs, puts head down on folded arms on computer table, wracks brains, considers squirrels*

It's back! #Inktober 2022 is going on now! Click here if you're curious! I'd like y'all to hold me accountable because I think it'd be a fun commitment and no, I haven't started yet and yes, it's October 3rd already. It's okay! Just stay on me to post them.

Another fun commitment might be to begin or restart a gratitude journal or list. Or three things you're thankful for each day on a post it on the mirror. Or just one thing, even if it's that you are physically able to get out of bed. Coffee can be your one thing. Not for every single day, unless it tops your list of more than one thing. Get creative. You can share your list or don't. Keeping track just for you is okay! I know, I know, Thanksgiving is not this month, and around here we are fervent about Halloween happening before the Christmas stuff comes out and all that, but it's nicer to go into the season of thanks with a thankful spirit all warmed up and stretched and ready to go. Yes, fall allergies are a thing, but enjoy the pretty leaves that are starting to turn. Yes, it's getting colder, but enjoy adding that extra soft hoodie or those thick socks to your wardrobe. Yes to coffee, hot tea, hot cider and hot cocoa. And yes to whipped cream and marshmallows. You think you're going to live forever? Dump that stuff on there. You're worth it. 

Now that you're properly situated, go be someone's sunshine!


No comments: