Friday, April 05, 2024

"It's my SONG!"

 I suppose some backstory is appreciated if not required for this post. Growing up, I feel like music was playing more often than not. My parents had a record player and the corresponding albums. One of my weekly chores was to dust the downstairs. I wasn't a fan A) being allergic to dust and B) because my parents had ... ornate? complicated? annoying lamps with glass bumps all over them and metallic swirls and man, those babies could be called the original Dustcatchers. Anyway, dusting is a chore I simply couldn't abide performing without music, so every Saturday morning I'd play ABBA, Mary Poppins, Godspell, Oliver, the Muppets Christmas album or what have you. My brother and I got really good at recognizing when it was going to skip and being in ready position to head that off. Generally lots of musicals to help me tackle all our bookshelves. 

At some point I acquired a small boombox. Bright blue and yellow with *gasp* a cassette player! Wheeee! So then it was Jive Soweto, Three Dog Night, Billy Joel, the Cure Mixed Up, Led Zeppelin IV (Zoso), and so on. Also listened to when I did the dishes, which was regularly as my brother did the floors because we hated doing the opposite chore. 

My Dad listened to classical, my Mom listened to jazz. I have a very fond memory of sitting in their yellow kitchen with my friend Joe who stopped her to ask what tape she was playing. It was Chick Corea and we sat in silence to listen. He was amazed, and I'd taken it for granted that everyone grew up listening to everything. My brother loved the Beatles and told me once that he really wasn't a big fan of female singers. I was a bit offended, but in looking at the following list of songs that come on Pandora and I squeal, "it's my SONG!" he may have a point. The station I've named Iko Iko that is one of my all time favorite stations played these songs while I kept a list so I could share:

1. The Dixie Cups- Iko Iko (hence the station's name)

2. The Tokens- Wimoweh!!!

3. Michael Franti- Good Day for a Good Day

4. Bobby McFerrin- Don't Worry, Be Happy

5. Tim Tim- Rum'n'cocacola

6. John Mellencamp- Hurts So Good

7. Bobby Day- Little Bitty Pretty One

8. Men At Work- Down Under

9. Tracy Chapman- Give Me One Reason

10. Bill Withers- Lean on Me

11. Chuck Berry- You Never Can Tell

12. Paul Simon- the Obvious Child

13. The Proclaimers- I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)

14. Eurythmics, Annie Lennox & Dave Stewart- Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)

15. Harry Belafonte- Angelina

It got to the point where I was trying to predict what would be played next. Some other regulars are Jimmy Buffett, Caro Emerald, Jim Croce, Gordon Lightfoot. 

Other "very favorites" would be: 

Cecilia by Simon & Garfunkel

Brown Eyed Girl by Ka'au Crater Boys

The Sound of Silence by Disturbed

Jump In the Line by Da Vinci's Notebook

Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode

Tainted Love by Soft Cell

(here comes "Come on, Eileen" by Dexys Midnight Runners as I'm typing, and I can hear my menfolk joining in from the other room)

Nadine (and Maybellene as well) by Chuck Berry

Mary Lou by Ronnie Hawkins

I've always had a soft spot for "oldies", even pestering my boss at my old Wendy's job to please, please, please change the station to oldies because if I have to hear Paula Cole one more time someone is gonna get hurt. Oldies are bouncy and short and fun and make you want to dance. 

Should I be worried that so many of these are about cheating or sketchy lovers? *giggle* Cecilia, Tainted Love, Nadine, Maybellene, Mary Lou, Sundown by Gordon Lightfoot, 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover by Paul Simon, haha. Goodness. I'm sensing a trend. 

Another huge favorite genre has been sea shanties. If you're looking for some good ones besides the Wellermen, I recommend Nathan Evans, Sail North, and Home Free. But man, if you only have time for one, don't miss this one:

And TURN IT UP

If the artist's percussion and/or bass isn't felt in my sternum, I'm not convinced they're doing it right. We've turned that song up as far as it will let us, sat on the kitchen counter, and felt it vibrate all through our bodies. Incredible. Disturbed's cover of "The Sound of Silence" is similar in my mind- I'm so impressed by his control and power. 

Anyway, I tell the kids regularly that they're going to have to play this station for my funeral reception/wake/whatever. They may not all be appropriate, but they'll be bouncy and fun and people will be singing along! What more could I ask? 😁"It's my song!"

No comments: