Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Oy vey... a tale of a wellness checkup

So our big boy is 4 now, and that means it's time for a wellness checkup at Dr. Jon's. Surprisingly enough, what with h1n1 and colds and flu and allergies and all the rampant germs that are around, Liam is healthy for this appointment! He weighed in at 35 pounds and 40 1/4 inches which puts him at the 50th percentile for both height and weight. That's my solid, dependable kid.

My solid, dependable kid also had one perfectly clear ear, and one with a perfectly clear bead in it!

Yep, that's what I said. Dr. Jon claimed it was a potato, but quickly realized once he tried to get it out that it wasn't as pliable as a potato would have been and almost gave up. Liam sounded like he was being drawn and quartered. But Dr. Jon persisted and rescued a clear bead with a tiny, threading hole in it from Liam's right ear. Liam claims he has no idea how it got in there, where he got it from, or when he put it in there. Can I get an "oy vey"?

And that was only the beginning. The poor kid then got the flu mist (which otherwise would have been an additional shot) and two shots. One was for the chicken pox and the other was MMR; thankfully those are his last ones for those. At least for awhile... The nurse was awesome and she recruited another one to help so they could stab simultaneously and get outta there. He got Bugs Bunny bandaids and an orange lollipop.

We got him home, lollipop still intact, which rarely happens, popped in two bubblegum chewable children's tylenol and he's curled up watching Noggin. What a traumatic morning!

Crazy kid. I guess I'm thankful we didn't have to spend time in ER or at the ENT doctor- that would have been the next step. All I could think of was the time Hinrew swallowed the Mousetrap ball. I guess since this is the worst medical scrape he's had, I'm going to go count my blessings! Thank you God, for our brilliant, funny, crazy, healthy 4 year old boy! =)

1 comment:

JC said...

SO funny! You have to give an update when Carrie gets home to see if she knows where the mysterious bead came from. I'm hoping there's a really good Carrie story behind this. hehehe!