Monday, May 10, 2010

Maidservant

Care Bear has a tendency to "molt", a word used by our good friend Bob Langston to describe stepping out of one's clothes and leaving them where they lay. Lie? Whatever. Last week, she shed her jammies in the middle of the living room floor, and by the end of the day, there were other outfits, papers, toys, and random objects strewn here to Goshen. Seriously.

So I told her that she was almost seven and that she needed to clean up after herself because I am not her maid. Liam asks, precisely on cue, "Mama, what's a maid?" I told him a maid is someone who is paid money to clean up another person's mess. I then continued telling Carrie that if she wanted to pay me to clean up her mess, that would be fine. Otherwise she'd better get busy and do it herself.

Would you believe that girl headed upstairs, opened her piggy bank, came back downstairs, plunked a $5 and some change on the counter, and headed over to the couch with her book while tossing a "there, for being my maid" over her shoulder?

Of course you would.

True story.

4 comments:

Cilla said...

OMG! I can't just picture that! :)

Cheryl said...

At least she gave you some cash! I told James a very similar thing and all he said was, "Yes, you are supposed to pick up after me - you're the MOM!" I can't wait to see what he has to say when he's Carrie's age!

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness that is some kind of amazing that is.

Columbia said...

Wow... priceless has a value: apparently $5 and change.