Thursday, November 15, 2018

My afternoon date for Autumn 2018

*Skin photographs ahead- reader beware*

You guys, meet Baymax:



Isn't he cool? The "arms" on the sides come out and can be raised and lowered. The bottom panel also rotates around, and so does the hair dryer looking top part. The table I'm on is called a couch, and it slides in underneath. I lay there and behave myself and admire the beautiful lighted ceiling panels and be still. I also watch the numbers of the variations of the rotation degrees creep up or down and wondered what "No accy" meant on the computer screen I can see. I hoped it didn't mean "no accuracy", so I asked. It means "no accessory", which is an additional machine part that could be added to Baymax. Whew. There's also clanks and whirs and I swear the same exact bing of the seat-belt-may-be-removed notice on airlines. 

The top part that looks like a hair dryer has a square window in the very middle of it which is full of metallic "leaves" that slide back and forth, making bumps and zigzags. I thought they looked like teeth made of nails, but they also remind me of the metalworks in a music box, or those toys where you push your face or your fist in and then back up and the impression you left behind is still there, sticking out in 3D. Anyway, that section rotates over to my left elbow when I'm on the couch and every time I think, "watch it, buddy, don't you bump my elbow"... it never does, but it makes me smile every time. It rotates under me to zap me from behind as well. The nurses recommended certain lotions that I'm to rub on 2-3 times a day and I'm supposed to put it as far down the back of my right shoulder as I can reach, all over my front, and then under my right arm as far onto my back as I can reach also. I'm a bit pink, but doing okay so far. Today will be Day 9, so Dada says I'll be 3/11ths of the way done. 

I have to laugh at this next picture with all my lumps and bumps and marks. This is my right side, showcasing my lovely armpit. Just kidding. I wanted you to be able to see what a hypocrite I am; Carrie has been known to draw on herself in Sharpie, and when I notice I admonish her, "don't draw on yourself. Especially in permanent marker!"

Well, here I am, all dotted and x'd and a general mess, haha. The x's are now tiny dots of tattoo ink, so those and the stickers they're on are gone. The bump with the scar above it to the right of the x on the right is my port. The ring of dots along my center are where the radiology techs line up the bolus, which is a flap of squishy material masquerading as tissue that tricks the radiation into sticking around the surface instead of penetrating farther into me. The actual, God's truth name of the bolus material? Superflab. I am not making this up! The techs keep it in a drawer with bubble wrap, and I've been told even towels could be used instead. How fun! The best part is that since Baymax works best in chilly conditions, the techs often warm up the Superflab in the blanket warmer before slapping it on my chest. Mmmmmm, nothing quite like warm Superflab. I quipped that I wished I had a whole suit of it to wear in weather like this!


The bruisy-looking dark spot under my incision is where the surgical drain was. The lump on my far right (which is actually my left) is the very bottom of what used to be my left boob. As I said earlier, when your arms are straight out to your sides, your chest stretches flatter, which is how I was in surgery. When you stand up and gravity takes back over, things fall into their original position. Am I flat? Not quite. More concave, but way flatter than I used to be. It makes for much tighter hugs, which I love!

Tangent time. Any guesses on the design on my pants? I call them my pizza pants, but on closer inspection you will notice that they have green rinds. I believe they are actually watermelon slices. Dada is not a fan, but they cracked up my radiation team, and they're super soft. If they disappear mysteriously, y'all will know who to blame.

While I'm on my date with Baymax, I get to pick the music I want to listen to. I've been hearing a lot of 60's, some classic rock, and some 80's so far. Songs I haven't heard in years, including this one . I had nothing to do with the song or the video. I hadn't heard it in a really long time- had forgotten about it completely, in fact- but it struck me how pertinent it is still today. My PSA for today is to please remember those less fortunate than you as we head into Thanksgiving, and I challenge you to find some creative way to love on someone in need, even anonymously. I can't wait to hear your stories about what you were able to pull off. Back to my irregularly scheduled blog post...I love it when my tech ladies sing along. It's funny how I'm only there for 15 or so minutes, but they all feel like old friends. I have been in such good hands this entire journey. It's so amazing to know how many people are in the right place at the right time knowing the right things. I thanked Julie once for taking such good care of me and she replied that it was her honor and privilege to take care of me. There were definitely tears sneaking into my ears again. Apparently you shouldn't cry on the Couch of Baymax, either...



No comments: