Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Blather

Eggs.

Eggs, eggs, eggs. 

Maybe I've mentioned this before, but I took a creative writing class in college, which I loved. We were told to write every day. If we didn't have anything to say, we were to write about what we had for breakfast. Diana Hume George said that, "sooner or later, something will break through the eggs."

I haven't blogged lately, one, because life has been fairly status quo and, two, I have to fight with my own children to get any screen time on my own device. We've been shoveling snow. We've driven to church, karate, stores, all without incident. We've been in the Pit of Despair (AKA homework), we've been cleaning up fewer kitchen raids performed by Honey Houdini, we've been craving sunshine.

The big kids' scheduling papers for next year have come home and need returned by week's end. I can't believe we will have two Thingz in high school next year. Wow.

I had my annual well check with my general doctor and all was well. Got my flu shot and my tetanus shot and glowered at the scale. The things one does.

This week I'm set to get a haircut, haha, because I have enough hair to need trimmed. I've missed my hair this winter because the back of my neck gets so cold without it. The things one takes for granted. Yes, I have scarves. I could fix the problem, I'm just reporting. 

I'm starting to get seed/garden fever, which is right about on time for me. So many gray Ohio days leave me craving color. I'll have to assess what's left of my seeds since Honey also decided those would be fun to decorate the sunroom with. Sometimes when I walk her past the Garden of the Dead (no, that's not a cemetery, it's just that it got frigid early this year and I didn't get quite everything out of the garden in time) I can still smell the petrified basil. I'm bummed I didn't get every single tiny tomato and red currant out there. I really enjoyed them this year. Soon, soon, according to the groundhog. He clearly is unaware that the safe, frost-free day around here is like Memorial Day weekend. Early spring, indeed. My poor birdies are swarming the feeder that I keep chasing plump squirrels off. There's a gang of them and I swear they're using lookouts. I keep expecting to see them in denim vests. Darn it, he's back AGAIN!

Release the Hound!

There are currently not one but two pairs of skivvies on the floor in the Old Lady Room. I promise they will not be there for Friday Night Games, even if I have to threaten the owner with beatings. I wonder if more people would come if we changed the name to Friday Night Beatings. I bet a lot of moms I know would be in line with their offspring, haha!

Made some broccoli cheese soup the other day. Thinking Taco Tuesday tonight, never mind that the boys will want the meat, the shells, and the cheese and that's it. And ketchup. 

Just doing the things. Adulting. Putting on pants. All is well. Perhaps that's where the blessings lie, just in the every day. Is it lie or lay anyway? Whatever. Enjoy your moments. Savor the hot drinks and the cold ones. Give lots of praise for the hot running water for your shower. Brighten others' days as you can. Salt and light, and cups of coffee and conversation and real love, messes and all. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bread, broth, bam!

Val said...

Hahaha, exactly!