Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Bread and hot pie

 Dada is our resident bread baker, so when a friend asked, "would you guys like a sourdough starter" it came as no surprise to me that he jumped at the chance. To his credit, he did ask me, too, haha!

So here he is, finessing his skills with a future sourdough loaf. No, the potting soil didn't go into it. Yes, that's a marble slab that we've had for years. It's the cutout of a counter where the sink would be placed, and he bought it for a ridiculously small amount of money since to the company holding it considered it as waste. It keeps a cooler temperature for working with dough, so it's perfect. 


Bread making is definitely a lesson in patience. It takes time to find the right spots in your home that are A) warm enough, B) safe enough from dogs and kids, C) visible enough that you don't forget about it when you inevitably get sidetracked into other projects while you're waiting for it to do its thing! We had a batch rising in the sun puddle upstairs in our bedroom, one cozied up beside the crock pot, and one enjoying the steam from the dishwasher. 


Dada and I got dressed for Easter, but the boys were still in their pajamas. That's pretty much all I wash these days, and major props to this sweet man who fixed the washer! The kids were astounded and commented, "wow, is this what is used to sound like? It's so quiet!" Well done! I am getting spoiled having this terrific hubby of mine home all the time. It's going to be rough when life returns to some semblance of normal. 

It was the quietest Easter we've ever had. I'm sure many of you felt the same. We attended our church online, and we caught most of Uncle Kelly's service online as well despite their technical difficulties. I'm pretty sure it was the first Easter without grandparents in attendance in a long, long time. We didn't do clues for baskets but bags of candy were quietly slipped onto their beds during the day, to their great delight that evening. I think candy is our kids' love language, haha! 


I did enjoy a belly laugh with Thing 1 the other day when she handed me a riddle meme to which I proudly and confidently declared a completely wrong answer. She started laughing at my confidence and then neither of us could breathe at my answer. It depicted a combination of an angle, which I mistook as the less than sign, like this < which was followed by a steaming mug of coffee which was in turn followed by the symbol for pi. I announced, "you are less than hot pie!"

She almost died. "I got it right away! You are a cutie pie!" 
/acute tea pi/

I liked my answer better. Teehee. I'm fairly sure that line will be worked in to as many conversations as possible when the other person is unsuspecting... at any rate, it was the hardest we'd laughed for awhile! 

No comments: