Friday, March 26, 2021

A prodigal finds a new home

I don't know about your kitchen, if you are like us in acquiring a variety of mugs or if you prefer your coffee accoutrements to match, but this is some of our collection. 

The far right one, asking "now where did I put my coffee" is from my camp friend, Kimmy. Boy, does she know me or what? The back of it reads, "Wallet? Phone? Keys?" 

The far left one is from Square One Art, which takes kid art and turns it into all sorts of fun items like flags, mouse pads, magnets, mugs, etc. Damon drew the giraffe and I adored it so I bought one for me and his giraffe-obsessed aunt Muggin. 

The "BEWARE, not a morning person" one was an off-to-college-with-you gift from my mother. It's survived a bazillion moves and I haven't busted it yet, unlike the Lion King one she also sent to college with me.

The pink one declaring, "You are a courageous woman" came from my sweet sister-in-law, Jana, during chemo. I had many mugs of hot tea through the chemo process and each time I used it I felt so loved.

The insulated mug with the candy hearts with sayings all over them is from my dear friend Kathy whom I've had the privilege of praying with for, wow, around 15 years now!

And the one beside that with the cherry blossom is a tea infuser, the first one we've added to our collection as we've discovered how much fun one can have with loose teas. Zita has a matching one, completely coincidentally, which makes me laugh!


No, the above photo is not how much coffee I consume in the morning, thank you very much. I just wanted to show off my new coffee mug and his friends. See the little guy, second from right, with the blue stripes? He's a prodigal mug. 

Dada and I were on a Trash Bash, which is exactly what it sounds like: we live in Ohio where the wind gets a bit full of itself and often recyclables which were in fact tossed into the proper recycling bin blow back out and go adventuring unsupervised. Therefore, there is plenty of trash in the farm fields, yards, and ditches around our corner of Ohio. It looks terrible and hurts my hobbit/wood elf heart. 

Dada, who loves me and has earned his mansion in heaven for putting up with my Shenanigans all these years, agreed to help me clean some of it up since we were out walking anyway. 

I hereby interrupt the original story to brag on this man a little bit. Through a lot of self-denial and self-discipline as well as a bunch of exercise, he has lost over thirty pounds this winter! I'm so proud of his dedication, especially in quarantine, especially in a house where there are Oreos. And ice cream. His personal Kryptonite. Way to go, babe! You are doing great!

So we were on one of our walks and had three grocery bags full of recyclables, some assorted pieces of trash, two glass beer bottles, and I spied a poor, sad coffee cup in the dirt. Did he fall of the roof of someone's truck as they accelerated past the intersection? Did he take a tumble from a tractor? How did he get here? 

Well, I couldn't just leave the little guy there, so I brought him home, gave him a good soak, a quick scrub, and a run through the dishwasher. When he was shiny and clean I poured some fresh, hot coffee into him to test him out and voila, he has a new home and a purpose. And friends. Now, where to put him?





As we were lugging home all of our trash/treasures, I kid you not, we spotted a bald eagle soaring over the field across the street from us. I jiggled the bags and chirped how none of this stuff we were hauling would now end up in the bald eagle or in his prey, and I think that's just about the best thanks we could possibly have gotten!


Yes, we drink out of Mason jars around here. Yes, that's a rubber Duckie in with our glassware. Have I blogged about that already? Hmmm. I'll have to investigate while you wait in suspense! 

 

No comments: