Wednesday, June 08, 2022

Cottonwood season


I didn't know anything about cottonwood trees growing up. There must not have been any in our neighborhood because I had no idea they were a thing until we moved here. And I still have no idea where the ones are who are shedding all their fluff like so much windblown cotton candy, but I do wish they'd keep it to themselves. It looks like it's snowing, they get sucked into my nose or mouth when I'm running, Damon had one float into his eye which just about drove him to distraction, and you can't sweep them up because they just start swirling around again! Liam parted a pair of curtains to confirm that they were blowing, took one look and declared, "yep, that's it. I'm not going outside until October."


They do look pretty snagged in the Japanese Meadowsweet which grows out front. If I was a flower, I think that's what I'd want to be. They look so tickly and I bet the bees just love them. Look at all those little spikes with balls on the end! I'm thinking Best in Show for Bee Massage.


 

No comments: