Tuesday, June 24, 2008

In honor of Stick Tree, RIP

The tree trunk you see belongs to Stick Tree. He's been a fixture at my parents' house the entire time they've lived there. I'm not even sure how old he is, but he's seen better days. Occassionally he'll lose a limb here, a branch there. He's been looking rather decrepit for awhile, so my dad had a tree surgeon come in. The guy had a hard time even climbing him, but once he got up there, he said, "oh my. He's full of water. And ants." Now, we'd known Stick Tree was hollow for quite some time. But lately Dad has seen birds drinking out of the holes in him! Sadly, they made an appointment to cut Stick Tree down. His last day will be June 30th. =( So sad. Poor Stick Tree. This is Tino and Geoffrey, posing beside Stick Tree, who will be gone but not forgotten!
Tino and Geoffrey climbed up into the bush beside Stick Tree to show another vantage point.
I took this one while I was laying on the sidewalk. Carrie was laughing at me, climbing all over the front yard, hopping off the rock wall, "be careful, Mama! Don't get hurt!" I didn't dare tell her I'd been doing it since I was slightly older than her lest she get any more ideas! Anyway, that line along the bottom is the top of the rock wall. I had to use that to block the sun from the picture!
Farewell, old friend =( RIP Stick Tree ?-2008
Posted by Picasa

No comments: