Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Liam, the Squirrel Whisperer


A week ago (already!) I doo doo doo looking out my back door (sorry, it's how my brain works, haha) and saw Liam and the Bos just sitting there, chillin'. I saw front feet on Liam's hoodie and thought, "that's a really large frog...? Waitaminute. That has a tail.

Yes, folks, Liam is indeed petting a squirrel.



The story as I heard it was that Bos was not clipped into his tie out and grabbed a squirrel's tail as it tried to scamper up a tree. He dragged it back down by its tail, Liam intervened, and the pictures are of it clinging to Liam for dear life. After being told multiple times that it is a wild animal and that he needs to let it go, he informed me that it wouldn't get off him, he was trying, it didn't want to leave him, he was trying, it won't let go, he was trying...

He finally made it back inside sans squirrel and was sent to wash his hands under supervision. He announced it had bitten him when he finally got it off of him, but there was only a tiny pinprick and no blood so I asked if it could have been a nail scratching him as it left. "Oh, could be." 

So I did what any good mom would do: I texted a nurse friend and asked about rabies. To her credit, she chuckled as she researched and didn't just laugh. According to the CDC, they are almost never to be found to be infected and haven't been known to cause rabies in the US among humans. 

Liam isn't any weirder than usual, so I guess we dodged that bullet. His finger never changed in appearance and he's no different than any other day, so all's well that ends well. Whew. Like I need any more crazy in May. 

And happy nurses' and teachers' week! I shudder to think where we would be without all y'all. Thank you for taking such good care of us!

No comments: