Thursday, July 07, 2022

The Mama is...in?

 My coffeemaker shares common ground (haha) with a sign I often think of from camp. You remember in the Peanuts comics how Lucy would have a "the doctor is IN" sign? Our camp nurse's station had a similar sign that was roughly clock shaped. It featured an arrow in the middle which could point to a myriad of choices such as dining hall, camp store, and so forth. That way, back in the day before cell phones, staff and campers would know which way to start running for help. 

I scribble a lot of post-it notes for our family (or whoever cares) and leave them on glass topped stove. I have one that says, "Out for my run" which now has a line through it in pencil so that it reads, "Out for my run walk"; it's just been too hot.  Another one reads, "Off on our walk, BBS". A third says, "Napping (I hope) in the playhouse," which comes in handy during stormy seasons when I am catching up on sleep. Then I slap them on the sides of the coffeemaker until the sticky back wears off rather than write new ones each time. Sometimes I'll scrawl a funny quote from the kids and stick it on there- I know there's one featuring Dada right now but as I'm blogging from the library I can't run over and check it. The laptop, sadly, didn't appreciate its drink of water and is pouting, refusing to boot up. RIP.

Anyway, it makes me smile and think of camp, and of college where I'd first seen the idea of a quote board. The girls who had it used post-its to scrawl down the funnies and attached them to the wall. We college roomies decided we loved the idea but used a piece of posterboard instead. I carried that tradition into our home, but we haven't had one up since we repainted the hallway a few years ago, hence the drop in quotes posts. With the shape that the wall is in right now, a posterboard might be an improvement. *sigh*

I love the idea of millions of magnetic letters on the refrigerator and know that'd be a much more effective means of communication, but ours is a side-by-side and is covered in photographs, coupons, library book list receipts, grocery list papers, kid art, an invitation to a glow stick party by a small friend of ours last summer, and a myriad of other things probably classified generally as Mess. No, you can't see a picture. You'll just have to come over to view it in person.

How about you? Do you have a fun, non-texting way to leave messages? What's your favorite? Dry erase boards? Hotel notepads? Lipstick on a mirror? Do tell.

No comments: