Monday, December 19, 2022

Close call for the Bosley Fool

There we were yesterday, coats on, ready to leave for church, when I noticed the baby gate leading to the basement had been slid aside and not replaced. I call, "Bos!" Nothing. I do a quick scan of the first floor, no Bos. I holler, "BOS!" A shamefaced Bosley trots up the basement steps. 
"Bos was in the basement; I sure hope he didn't eat any of the rat poison."
Dada goes down to investigate, and wouldn't you know it, the Idiot Bos ate not one, not two, but three of the small blocks of rat poison that were spread in the various corners of the basement! 
Thankfully, our amazing vet has been friends with Dada for decades (and attended college together back in the day). She is wonderful and we love her whole family. So I text her and she suggests giving him hydrogen peroxide and having him run around. The idea is that will induce vomiting.
Since he eats anything that isn't nailed down (obviously), he drinks it with no problem and we proceed to run around in the yard with him. 
No dice. Indestructodog wags his tail and doesn't give up the goods. Off we head to the vet! Of course he cried the entire 20 minute trip. Woo woo wooooooooo. "Yes, I bet you feel icky. I'm sorry, Bos." Wow wooooo wooooo wow woooo. "Well, next time stay out of the basement. You know you're not allowed down there." Wooooowwwwwooooooo. "Big dummy."
Mercy apparently isn't one of my spiritual gifts, haha.


Once we're there and he still hasn't vomited, she gives him eyedrops that induce vomiting. I'll spare you the actual visual imagine, but imagine intact breakfast kibble and mostly intact green squares of rat poison in lots of foamy bubbles. 


It's the most subdued I've ever seen him in the five and a half years we've had him. That garbage can was empty when we arrived. I'd love to think he learned his lesson, but I highly doubt it. I tell him regularly to not eat anything we don't give him, ("that includes bunny poop, Bosley. LEAVE IT.") but he doesn't listen. Post-it notes, crayons, erasers, napkins swiped right off the table, tissues, you name it. These dogs are ruining dogs for us! Anyway, she eventually gave him some anti-vomiting meds and some vitamin K that he needs to take for a month because the rat poison is an anticoagulant so we need to keep replenishing the vitamin K in his bloodstream. He wouldn't look at us. He faced away from us and sat, tail tucked under, and slightly swaying. Poor guy. Between the epic vomiting and the exercise in the cold beforehand, he had to be tired out.


Oooooooooof. *bubbles*


He's much more himself today and went his usual bananas when the mail carrier rang the doorbell, so I think he'll be fine. Let's hope we all learned a lesson!



 

No comments: