Sunday, December 25, 2022

The song in my head

 Last night I added more wood to the fire around 2 AM. All was calm, and with the snow outside, all was bright. That may also have had something to do with the multiple strands of Christmas lights that were still plugged in. 

I went back to bed but didn't immediately fall back asleep. I'd heard a remake of "Do They Know It's Christmastime" and I pondered how much I have always disliked that song. To me, it's so demeaning. And I become irate over the part that goes, "tonight, thank God it's them instead of you." Grrrr! That is NOT how Christmas spirit works. It's making me mad again just thinking about it. 

Do

They

Know

It's

Christmastime

At

All?

Gah! Stop!

Of course the songs you like least are the ones that you hear everywhere. "Silver Bells" is another one. You can't go into a store without hearing someone sliiiiiiiiiiiiding through all those notes as if they were ice skating through them, a prejudice I inherited from my musical parents. And it's not just Christmas carols. When Paula Cole's "I Don't Want to Wait" came out, I swear it was every fourth song played on the radio- and I KNOW I'm not alone in thinking that. It became what would today be a meme between friends of mine at the time. Still makes me shudder to hear those first few notes. Or "All I Wanna Do" by Heart from way back in the day. I was appalled when I listened to those lyrics, and I was just a kid! 

A more recent one is "Marry You" by Bruno Mars. I want to smack him every time I hear the first verse: It's a beautiful night, we're looking for something dumb to do. Hey baby, I think I wanna marry you.

Grrr! NOT the example of marriage we should be setting. It's a covenant, a promise, and one that shouldn't be entered into lightly. You're supposed to cherish each other.

Do they know it's- stop it! Stop! Replace it with something else. 

Hark how the bells, sweet silver bells, all seem to say throw cares away.

Another inherited prejudice is that I'm firmly planted in the camp of "country music is an oxymoron." I will die on this hill. I have a few songs that I enjoy, but the vast majority of that genre could all be wiped out and I wouldn't miss it. I know some of you are fans, and good for you; it's just not my thing. We were driving the other day and I remarked to Dada that I'd rather listen to Eminem (who I wouldn't know if he approached me on the street) than country. And WHY is it that when you're driving long distances the only radio stations that come in well are country ones?! What the actual heck is up with that?

MerryMerryMerryMerryMerryChristmas

I'll leave you with a fun video if you would like something catchy other than whatever may be stuck in your head at the moment. Click here =)

Ding

Dong

Ding

Dong

BOM!





No comments: